1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 Tablespoon of Tamar Valley Truffle Paste
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
500 gr ground pork
To make it into gravy….
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 to 4 cups whole milk, more to taste
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- Mix sage, thyme, brown sugar, salt, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, TVT truffle paste, and paprika in a medium bowl.
- Add pork and work spice mixture into meat with your hands until it’s very well blended.
- Wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours (I like overnight, myself) or up to 3 days.
When making into sausage gravy
- Crumble sausage into frying pan heated to medium high until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Chop with spatula to make fine crumbles.
- Brown the sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Sprinkle on half the flour and stir so that the sausage soaks it all up, then add more little by little.
- Stir it around and cook it for another minute or so, then pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens. (This may take a good 10 to 12 minutes.)
- Sprinkle in the seasoned salt and pepper and continue cooking until very thick and luscious. If it gets too thick too soon, just splash in another 1/2 cup of milk or more if needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spoon the sausage gravy over your desired starch or warm scones and enjoy!